- excessive pride or self-confidence.
- synonyms:arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority; More
- (in Greek tragedy) excessive pride toward or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.
gerund or present participle: mansplaining
- (of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.
- “I’m listening to a guy mansplain economics to his wife”
In other words, hubris that tends to largely be targeted by men towards women because they believe that women are inherently inferior and stupid. It’s a very particular kind of hubris with a well-established definition. And you are a very particular kind of bro-flake if you refuse to acknowledge that women are subjected to this horseshit in a much more sytemic and historical way than men. It doesn’t mean that women never do it — to other women or rarely, to men, but it is factually speaking an overwhelmingly male to female phenomenon. And it does have a gendered dynamic. Pretending that it doesn’t is an ostrich-in-the-sand maneuver for your comfort and completely disregards the overwhelming experience of women, which is ironically, it’s own form of mansplaining.